Saturday, August 7, 2010

Airplanes and Things to get Used to

My sister gets upset that I don't write in here enough.

Updates on life:

Okay, so I'm having second thoughts about moving into that house now. It's a lot of money for not a lot of space. If you know me, you know I have tons of clothes! I NEED a closet. The house that I'm about to move into has about the size of a small dresser of closet space. I couldn't even put all my dresses in there! Tiny. Not a fan. I loved having the two rooms, but I'm realizing how big of a pain it'll be to try and fit the rest of my clothes...where? The room is so small it would fit a queen size bed and that's it. I'm thinking that's not worth it. To me, at least. So I decided it's in the perfect location and I like the roomie, so I'm searching for a house in the same neighborhood- just less money. I found two places so far that I will be visiting tomorrow. Each of them are, at least, 100 dollars if not more, cheaper than the house I'd be moving into. No kidding! That's over $1000 a year I'd be saving! I know. I shouldn't go through with this place. I'm just so ready to settle into a life here I want so badly for the perfect place to just fall in my lap. Well, if I find a place in Ballard I can still see my favorite roomie AND be in the perfect neighborhood.

In other news, today was the Blue Angels show at SeaFair. It's a HUGE festival where basically everyone in Seattle gets wastyface on their boats and on the beaches and watches the hydroplane races and Blue Angels fly. Not a cop in sight either! I went over to one of my Kappa sister's houses and she lives in a GREAT location! We could see everything perfectly from her porch. We had a keg full of local beer, cans of sierra nevada, rainier and tecate, and mimosas! Huge lunch spread too. People love their fruit here, it's just so fresh. Yum yum yum!
I took some great pictures of the Blue Angels flying!Richard fell asleep after the planes came through...too much alcohol and rainy weather don't mix at parties I've found.

Still been filling out applications like crazy. I need a job to feel comfortable here! I don't want to start planning to do things yet until I have one, so I know I can have the time off.

I do love it here though. The flowers are all so pretty. With very pretty scenery.


More things to get used to about Seattle:

Servers and Bartenders need a LICENSE to serve any type of food or alcohol in a restaurant establishment. I'm going on Monday to a class to pay $40 for my Class 12 permit, in case I get a job at a bar.

You can park on either side of the road facing either direction. Parked on a hill you need to remember the parking brake (I feel like this is going to end badly for me one of these days) and the wheels turned to curb when parked.

It actually does not rain as much as previously thought. Only about 30 inches a year. It doesn't snow much either. However, when it does rain nobody uses umbrellas. People still walk, bike, run in the rain...they just all wear rain gear. Weird.

Most restaurants/bars don't have applications. They only accept resumes.

Shakespeare in the Park is hella popular out here. There were probably almost 150 people in the small venue I went and saw "As You Like It" yesterday. Tons of people were going to "Romeo and Juliet" today, but it was raining on and off (in a light drizzle) all day.

On a non-hazy day, you can almost always see the mountains and the water...it's a cool sight.

Oh yeah, soda is called pop. People drink Squirt-Ruby Red and Coke out of glass bottles. The popular beers are Rainier (like the mountain) and PBR. Fish is the primary food group and everything is organic, like I said before.

Interesting how moving to another city in the US could feel like moving to another country. And I'm loving every minute of it, except for the fact that everyone in the house is sick. I'm trying so hard not to get sick, but they get worse everyday! Ugh...pray that I don't catch a cold my second week in Seattle. This was the first day it rained!! What am I going to do when winter comes?!

No comments:

Post a Comment